Monday, December 19, 2011

Which project do you feel will be the most beneficial to your career?

Throughout the course of this semester, we focused on different digital media outlets such as blogging, video, audio recording and photography. Prior to this semester I had done a slight amount of work in each area except blogging, which I think helped me be able to produce quality work for each project. One of the biggest things I learned throughout the semester, though, was confidence. I think being confident going into an assignment or interview is key for coming out with good material.
I think the section we did on audio recording will be the most beneficial to my journalism career. For my job with Inside Gymnastics Magazine, I have to do numerous audio interviews, whether they are over-the-phone or in person. By applying the skills we learned in this class, I think I now have a better understanding of how to approach an interview, what to ask during an interview, and what kind of sounds (besides the questions and answers) to record.
I’d never really thought about recording much background noise, but now I have learned that this can be very beneficial to your interview. It provides the audience with a better understanding of the situation, and I think that by applying my newly developed skills I will be able to produce better work.

3 comments:

  1. The audio and photo component mean more to me. I think I had more fun putting those together, and I felt more comfortable shooting them than I did the video. I don't like filming anymore than I like being filmed, so If much more comfortable doing that. There was more to working with the audio itself (noise, levels, etc) than I had thought, and there's anything I need to work on, it's that.

    Here's my class blog, by the way:

    http://blogs.uww.edu/cervenkanj02/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I think that all of the projects were beneficial, and that they will help in the future! I totally agree that one of the biggest things I learned throughout the semester was confidence. Without confidence, it is difficult to get anything accomplished or improve on your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that your current job can benefit from some of the skills you learned in class. I also found this class benefited me currently. My roommate needed help putting together a YouTube video where it played their PowerPoint slides and had audio over it. I put the slides into movie maker and then edited their audio, and also put that into movie maker. That is just how one thing we learned in class helped me this week! I also feel all the equipment and programs we used in my career in advertising. Movie maker can be used in so many different situations, I am really glad we got the chance to learn how to use it.

    ReplyDelete