Saturday, September 24, 2011

Why Revolution will not be Tweeted

I really enjoyed this story from 1960, and I love how much of an impact the four young men were able to make without even using social media. However, I can't help but wonder how much FASTER their numbers would have multiplied or how much BIGGER of an impact they would have made.

This also presents a new question, though. Did the people who came and joined the movement care more about what was going on, when compared to people today who simply "retweet" a friend's post about a good cause, or simply "like" a page on Facebook? I don't know if I'm really making sense even, but I just think that without social media people probably were more full-hearted about supporting causes. After all, they actually had to show up at a movement or put forth some legitimate effort to show they support something, rather than simply clicking a button.

I think the power of social media is ever-growing, and as it grows it continues to shrink the world. For all I know someone thousands of miles away could be following my tweets or blog or whatever, but before social media, chances are I would have never been able to connect with someone so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment